This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you consent to our use of cookies unless you have disabled them.
Quick Search »

Marriage Visas, Spouse Visas & Partner Visas

If you have a partner, spouse or fiancé(e) who is living in the UK, or about to move to the UK, you may qualify to settle (live) in the UK with them as their dependant.

You qualify if:

  • You are planning to marry or to have a Civil Partnership ceremony in the UK and wish to stay on in the UK to live
  • You are already married to your spouse, or are a Civil Partner of a British citizen
  • Or if you are a long-term unmarried partner of a British citizen.

There is a minimum income requirement of £18,600 to sponsor a partner (fiancé(e), spouse, unmarried partner) for settlement in the UK and that income can come from salaried employment, cash savings, pensions and other sources like investments. Evidence of the income must cover the 6 months prior to the application. here are exemptions - but only <span 1.6em;"="">if you can demonstrate sufficient income to maintain both people (e.g., disability living allowance, severe disablement allowance, carers allowance etc.)

As well as income, you must prove:

  • Both parties are over 18
  • That one party has permission to reside permanently in the UK and has already settled there/will become settled at the same time as his/her partner.

In addition you will have to provide evidence of the pending marriage/civil partnership (such as ceremony arrangements) or existing marriage/civil partnership while unmarried partners will have to provide evidence of having lived together in a relationship ‘akin to marriage’ for two years or more.

You must also:

  • Provide evidence of the history of the relationship
  • Evidence that the parties have met in person
  • Evidence that the applicant’s level of English speaking and listening is at least A1 standard of the Common European Framework
  • And provide evidence of accommodation arrangements.

If you are successful the initial visa will be granted for 2-and-a-half-years and after that you must then apply for an extension which will be granted for another 2-and-a-half-year period.

After 5 years of residency with your British/resident spouse in the UK, you can apply for permanent residency (Indefinite Leave to Remain). 

For more information see




Are you looking to place
an advertisement right now?

CALL +44 (0)20 7989 0567

Determine where you want to be in the short and long term, establish how you feel about your career and working life and rate your level of satisfaction on a scale of one to 10.

If you find there is indeed room for improvement, then help comes in just a six-letter word:


Are you looking to place
an advertisement right now?

CALL +44 (0)20 7989 0567

The TNT brand attracts huge loyalty and trust among Australians, New Zealanders and South Africans living and working in the UK. The TNT Group offers a divers portfolio of free publications...

TNT Jobs is a part of Pixate Ltd.
Copyright © 2019 - About us - Contact us
Cookie Policy | Updated Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy